[DeTomaso] 351 C Compression Question

Tom Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Wed Dec 10 19:02:19 EST 2008

OK so help me understand...a compression ratio is
calculated on the volume that is in the cylinder at BDC
including the head chamber combined vs. what that total
volume ends up being compressed to when the piston is
at TDC, hence the 9 to 1 or 10 to 1 CR.  When I look at
the 4V open chamber head in pictures, it appears to be
shallower than the 4V Closed/Quenched Chamber Head, but
maybe that an optical illusion...I have not compared
the two heads side by side. The Open chamber is
76-78cc's and the Closed/Quenched chamber is
62cc's...does that 15cc's+/- really account for that
much drop in the ratio? I know that a lower piston
crown will account for a drop in CR and definitely a
dished piston would account for drop in CR.

With Open Chamber heads and a flat top piston is there
a way to read psi from a compression test to determine
what the actual, or approximation on compression ratio
is? I frankly don't want to pull a running motor apart
and spend time changing heads when I could be focusing
on so many other areas. But I have the disease...the
motor is sitting on the stand and I know it can make
more horsepower.

Regards,

Tom Borcich

  _____