[DeTomaso] [Fwd: Re: automotive related questions!]

Rick Moseley moseleya at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 10 18:50:11 EST 2008

720/4 = 180  (only 4 cyls per head/header)

But the reason for the crossing over was to improve/balance scavenging of
the adjacent cylinders in the firing order... not to be confused with the
physically adjacent cylinders.  Otherwise the firing order gives you a mix
of exhaust pulses of 90, 180 and 270.  By doing an over the top (or under
the motor as on the old  66-69 Fairlanes) crossing you could balance the
pulses in each header bank to every 180 degrees (theory). However, the
uneven tube lengths needed tends to slightly negate the desired effect
(practice). Ooooh, they sound good though!!!  Ford first used this at LeMans
on the 289s and later on the big block 427s.

But... equal length, stepped header tubes run into a TRUE "MERGE collector"
will get you as much scavenging as the 180's and are a dam-site easier to
live with and work on.

Rick