[DeTomaso] automotive related questions!

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:16:16 EST 2008

While sitting here doing my part to defend the western world and the Americam way, I started thinking about
180 degree headers.....

First question:  What cylinders are grouped together in a 180 degree system for a Cleveland?  I started thinking about
firing order and sequencing and my head started hurting.  A huge enchilada lunch didn't help either.

Second question:  After looking at photos of GT-40s, Lolas, McLarens, Chapparals, etc, I noticed the Ford powered
vehicles used 180s while the Chevy powered ones did not (generally).  Any thoughts about that?  I asked about building
a set of Pantera headers like that awhile back.  You could run longer tubes, a crossover pipe, less connectors and simpler
build while still getting the zoomy racy look for those who go just for that.  Any thoughts on that one?

I think an LS6 or LS7 in a Pantera would be a fantastic combo.  Tons of power and torque from a very compact package.
The Ford modular engines are way to huge and complicated for my liking.  I don't know of many problems with the LS
family and you can make big horsepower cheaply.  I'd do it in a minute if I needed a new engine.  My C5 Vettes and Z06s
get 22-23 in the city and well over 30 mpg on the highway.  Long trips usually average about 30 mpg.  Economy car.

Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa   BBORR in April 2009