[DeTomaso] allowing detroit to fail

RFogle1 at aol.com RFogle1 at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 12:33:53 EST 2008

I knew Chrysler was making tanks, but never knew that GM was making  guidance
& navigation systems for the military.  Hello this is OnStar,  we show you've
just taken a hit, do you need a medic?  Probably not far  from the truth.
I've watched over the years as steel mills and coke plants  in OH, MI, and PA
closed because cheaper steel was being produced in other parts  of the world, in
countries whose governments subsidized the industry, and paid  lower wages.
I wondered about our national security, and our ability to  produce materials
like steel, if those countries cut us off.  I had hoped  that our leaders had
it under control....  I read some time ago, and I have  not checked this out
on Snopes, that while we still produce much of the world's  specialty steel, we
don't have the capacity to produce enough steel domestically  to rebuild the
twin towers.  It doesn't take long, just one or  two generations for the
skilled workforce to disappear.  Many aspects  of sending a manned mission to the
moon, would be, at this point starting from  scratch.  The engineers have long
ago retired and the hands on  experience building that kind of vehicle are
gone.  Maybe new ideas  are better....  It could be a green mission to the
moon...

Ron in Akron

In a message dated 12/10/2008 10:55:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,