[DeTomaso] allowing detroit to fail

Jim Hendrickson chendric at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 10 11:58:20 EST 2008

As a retired skilled tradesman from a Ford facility, I have to say that the
$150k income is quite exaggerated. My base pay was around $60k. The average
electricians pay in the Atlanta area is $78k. My benefits package made up
some of the difference.

We did have some tradesmen who could stand the 84 hour weeks and made around
$125k, but that took many 84 hour weeks. I guess the 84 hour weeks plus
benefits could be looked at as making $150k. Do you want to do it?

The average production worker had a base pay around $50k and only worked 5
days a week so they had a hard time getting enough hours to top $70k. They
did get many 10 hour days.

Without the unions there never would have been a "middle class".