[DeTomaso] allowing detroit to fail

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 10:38:56 EST 2008

A minor technical point....

Many of the inertial nav systems used today that have replaced the good old
Delco Carousel systems are from Honeywell. Mostly their patented three sided
ring laser gyro system. Typically based on their 1300 series gyros. These
are really cool sensors, by the way...

And most of the newer jets are using either a FOG system or RLG's.
Which are US built.

My personal favorite gyro is the HRG. Four of which are in Cassini which is
flying around Saturn these days....

It should also be noted that pilots tend to use their GPS systems these days
as opposed to the inertial nav systems. At least, the ones I talk to. I'm
sure someone will step in here and tell me I'm full of doodoo....

Kirby
(who worked on FOG, RLG and HRG gyros for 9 years)
FOG - Fiber Optical Gyro
RLG- Ring Laser Gyro
HRG - Hemispherical Resonator Gyro