[DeTomaso] My solution to the automaker problems-Automotive News articla inside

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Tue Dec 9 20:00:59 EST 2008

And to me, this is a real question.  I've known people in big cities,
who don't own a garage, and don't have a driveway.  They park in the
street, and sometimes, not their street.  Sometimes in fact, they have
to park upwards of 10 blocks away and walk back to their home or
apartment.  Just where are they supposed to get the electricity?
There's the whole infrastructure thing that's missing.  (a perfect
opportunity for a small business, kinds like how gas stations got
started).

I like the idea of an electric car, but I have a driveway and a garage
and a place to plug it in.  I drive 30 miles one way to work, I'd lose
charge before I got home.  No big deal really, but I've got a killer
hill to climb before I get there.  My point is I'd be a good candidate
for the most part, but most apartment dwellers who don't have the same
amenities I do, aren't a good market.

And what about traffic jams?  Is that 40 miles really 40 miles, or
does it start to get shorter if you're in stop and go traffic?

One thing that really pisses me off, is that I'm driving a 10 year old
car (by Ford) that gets nearly 37 miles per gallon, and the big three
are crowing about how they have xx models that get 30 mpg or better.
Oh yea?  What's the "better?"  40?  50?, I'd like to see that.  The 30
mpg car of 10 years ago, should be getting nearly 40 now, if not 50.
The first time this last summer I heard an add that -boasted- 30 mpg,
I nearly fell over laughing.  I had fully expected with Gas at $4 a
gallon, to hear about the economy models that got 40 or better.

I guess we just aren't making those.

Hmm, which get's me thinking, maybe we -should- let the big three
fail, opening up an opportunity for new thinkers (bad example... like)
the DeLoreans of 20 years ago.  Allow GM to actually break into
several smaller car companies, each with a dedicated focus; each one
with a target market.  I mean.... come on... it's obvious by the
banter on this subject alone that we don't all think alike, we don't
all like the same things, and it just seems to me that the big three
have diluted their products lines trying to be ALL things, to ALL
people that they've lost sight of the individual.  It's back to the
mom & pop idea; they make a product that a select group of people
really like.  That group likes it, they buy it, they tell their
friends.  But the mom & pop shop don't go out of their way to
constantly come up with new ideas to take the competition away; they
are living well on what they do, their customer are loyal, they
integrate new ideas from their customers into their product, they know
their market.

I'm rambling again...  sorry...   just noticed.....

Asa Jay
Asa Jay