[DeTomaso] LS3 in Pantera?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 14:31:44 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/8/08 7:29:03 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I was told that although the LS series engines will bolt to a SBC bell
> housing, the depth is different, so you would need a different adapter for the
> ZF.

Practically nothing in an LS-1, -3 or -6 is the same as the 'old' GM
smallblocks '55 to '92: LS-1s had high-speed oiling problems with their Ford-style
gearotor oil pumps (corrected in the LS-3 & -6). Like the modular Fords, there
are lots and lots of one-time-only bolts that must be replaced every time
they're disturbed and speed parts are scarce compared to the old design. Personally,
I'd look for a pre-'92 aluminum engine and go from there, unless you intend
to run a stock motor or like (and can afford) development work. The main reason
for the LS series seems to be slightly lighter engine weight and shorter,
lower assembled dimensions to fit under today's lower hoodlines- none of which is
a concern when putting one in a mid-engine design. Good luck- J Deryke