[DeTomaso] Shifter adjustment, shorten shift rod

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 00:52:10 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/7/08 7:57:54 PM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> My shift rod drags the gate on 4th to 5th on the edge.  I already have the
> "fingerless" gate.

Some aftermarket aluminum gates are a little thicker than the stock chromed
steel one, and also have slightly smaller openings. All this tends to cause the
stick to drag when pushed sideways to select revers or 5th. I've cut the
reverse side of some aftermarket gates on a 45 degree angle in order to allow
reverse to be selected. A flat black touch-up on the new bevel completes a much
simpler fix than messing with the shift rod, especially if the tranny was
shifting OK berore the new gate was added. FWIW- J Deryke