[DeTomaso] Shifter adjustment, shorten shift rod

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 23:20:25 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/7/08 19 57 57, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> I recall this issue coming up in the past but cannot find the link.
> How is the best way to adjust the shifting range of motion to phase shift to
> the drivers side 0.5 cm or so.  My shift rod drags the gate on 4th to 5th on
> the edge.  I already have the "fingerless" gate.
>
>>>This job is surprisingly easy to do, and yet it can also be excruciatingly
annoyingly difficult to get right.

All you have to do is loosen the forward locknut on the turnbuckle.   The
turnbuckle and locknut are both 22mm if memory serves.   This will then allow the
shift linkage upstream of the turnbuckle to rotate.   Ideally, have one
person inside the car to position the gearshift lever appropriately, while the
other person tightens the locknut.

I believe the aft locknut on the turnbuckle is reverse thread--it's indicated
by a series of small notches cut into the corners of the locknut.

You will find it difficult to get that perfect side-to-side spot, because
things move around slightly when the locknut is tightened.   Chances are, you
will have to deliberately offset the shift lever slightly to one side as the nut
is tightened; when you release it, it will then be in the perfect location.
It's a trial-and-error thing.

You might find it easier to shift the gearbox into 5th gear, and then hold
the shift lever just off the edge of the gate as the locknut is tightened.
Once that's done, be sure you can still engage reverse and first gear, and
re-adjust as necessary.

> I also plan to cut my shift rod to shorten by about 1 inch.  How much can it
> be shortened and still function normally through the shift pattern?  I think
> one inch would make it more comfortable and look better IMHO.

where he not only shortens the shift lever, but angles it back slightly.   This
makes it very awkward to shift, and I find that it causes grinding gears too.

I've never seen a good reason to shorten the shift lever, although it
certainly can be done.   Doing so will reduce your leverage and thus raise shifting
effort somewhat; the problem increases the more you shorten it.   However,
theoretically you will be able to shift faster with a shorter lever; at some point
though, the gearbox can't change gears as fast as you can pull the lever, so
again, this benefit is rather dubious.