[DeTomaso] Stock Front & Rear Calipers for a 73L

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Sun Dec 7 05:11:57 EST 2008

I advise against trying to pull or twist the pistons out. I'm in the process of rebuilding a couple of calipers on my motorcycle and when I removed them I found two of the pistons badly scarred from such an attempt (requiring replacement). When they didn't come out with air pressure I hooked the caliper back up to the bike and with little effort pushed them out using the master cylinder. To make the pistons come out evenly (one was much stickier than the other) I successively replaced the blocking piece with thinner pieces. Towards the end I went in 1 mm steps. When one piston eventually popped out the other was so close to doing the same that I could pull it out with my fingers. The mess was not too bad, pressurized fluid doesn't "explode" when released like pressurized gas does.

Tomas