[DeTomaso] Aluminum flywheel

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 1 23:56:16 EST 2008

That's what I did.

I bought the Fidanza from The Mustang Depot on ebay, and I bought the DF700000.  I also bought ARP PP bolts for a 351C, but they were too small.  The bolt holes for the DF700000 line up with 3/8" holes, not the normal 5/16" holes.  I bought 3/8" Chevy bolts, but they are shoulder bolts, so I spaced them out with washers.  It took 2 washers.

I have about 20,000 miles with that arrangement, and it has worked fine, but I still don't like the redneck engineering.

When I put my car back together, I may use studs.  I thought about cutting the flywheel for shoulder bolts, but there aren't enough threads for my comfort level.

If I were doing it all over again, I'd probably buy the flywheel / dual disc assembly that Dennis Q. advertises in Profiles.  The cost of the Fidanza, plus the PP isn't that much cheaper than the assembly from Dennis.  I don't mean to plug one particular vendor, but I haven't seen that assembly advertised by anyone else.  I won't be buying it anytime soon, though.  I have a perfectly good Centerforce/Fidanza setup with low miles.

I'm pretty sure the Fidanza flywheel is also drilled for the normal Pantera PP.  I'm also pretty sure those holes are 5/16".  I could measure it if anyone is interested.  I'd offer to take pics, but I'm having issues with my digital camera.

Will.