[DeTomaso] Torque on ZF pan

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 02:12:07 EDT 2008

Asa,

Here is are my guesses:

Mt and Nm are part identifiers of some type and not units of  torque.

Unfortunately Nm is also the abbreviation for Newton-Meters which  is a unit
of torque. kpm is also a unit of torque with 0.102 kpm equal to 1  Nm.  Nm =
14.6 -16.6 kpm by itself is meaningless.

So, my guess, the Mt bolts are to be torqued to 1.5-1.7 kpm  (10.85-12.29
lb-ft) and the Nm bolts are to be torqued to 14.6-16.6 kpm  (105.6-120.1 lb-ft).
100 ft-lbs is the sort of torque used on head bolts and  such.

12 ft-lbs sounds about right for the cover bolts which are threaded  into
aluminum. 120 ft-lbs sounds high to me for the side bolts, but that IS  German
steel.

Be sure you have the ears of the side covers thru which the side  bolts pass
shimmed so there is no gap. The cross bolts can bend/break those  ears.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com

deal here.