[DeTomaso] Torque on ZF pan

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Aug 31 00:59:51 EDT 2008

So I have the new ring gear bolts installed and safety wire.  My Dad
used to work on airframes and powerplants for a few different airlines
so I had him come over and make sure I was doing things in the best
manner possible.  I also had a copy of Jack DeRyke's last article on the
subject.  Between the two, I no have the job all done.  Now to put the
cover back on.

With my trusty electronic copy of the ZF manual, I open to page 27 and
just get confused.  There are two sets of bolts that need to be
installed: the long tension bolts and the pan bolts proper.  Paragraph 3
talks about securing the cover, but doesn't have a torque spec.  In
paragraph 4, it talks about the tension bolts and lists two specs:

Mt = 1,5 - 1,7 kpm,  Nm = 14,6 - 16,6 kpm

So what does Mt mean versus Nm?  I ask because if I've done my math
right, it's the difference between 12 ft.lbs and 120 ft.lbs.  I know the
cover bolts won't withstand 120 without stripping the threads, but the
tension bolts might.  But then what is the Mt spec?  At 12 ft.lbs it
would seem that is a good spec for the cover bolts.

Anyone care to un-confuse me?

Thanks,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired