[DeTomaso] Sultan of Brunei Pantera being restored????

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Fri Aug 29 16:33:21 EDT 2008

I imagine all those RHD pieces are pretty rare?
Maybe that's why he would do something with his money and time that's almost
as foolish as you and I have with our Panteras?
"Amazing" doesn't really do it justice.
Thanks for the interesting story Mike.

Barry

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:

Hi guys,

I was just on the phone with Johnny Woods in the UK.   You know that total
POS silver Euro GTS that was owned by the Sultan of Brunei and left
abandoned
for many years?   Kirby Schrader posted a bunch of photos of it here:

http://web.mac.com/kirbyschrader/pantera/brunei/SadPantera.html

This car was finally moved from where it had been standing for years and
years.   Apparently a truck came and put a hook into each fenderwell and
lifted it
onto a truck and took it to a scrapyard to be junked.

Well, some New Zealander airline pilot (what is it about those nutty pilots
and rusty Panteras???) living in Brunei bought the thing and is now paying
have it restored!

He got in touch with Johnny, since Johnny's car is only one serial number
away, and started asking advice.   Johnny wisely told him to abandon that
plan,
part the car out on E-bay and then buy a proper car.   But he's having none
of
it--apparently the restoration shop just cut the roof off???

Anyway, he's in London on a trip so he's taking a five-hour train ride down
to visit Johnny but can only stay for an hour and a half, then he's going
back
to London for his return flight.

Amazing...hopefully we'll hear from him soon?