[DeTomaso] Fiberglass Hoods

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Aug 28 16:13:21 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/27/08 8:18:01 PM, rfmccall at comcast.net writes:

> How many of you have 'glass hoods on your Panteras? Can you e-mail me a
> picture and answer a few questions? Who made it? How is the fit? Cost?
> Do any of you have a hood for sale? Glass OR steel?

We run a '80s Long & Newman glass hood once used on replica Panteras. The fit
is fine except for the windshield end. All the 'glass hoods I've seen are so
flexible that when latched, the center moves down under latch pressure but the
ends don't due to the stiffness of the trunk weatherstripping, giving a
'flat' look to the assembly on the car. The vents are built-in and are only
decorative 'cause they're so small that little air passes through them. But they are
modify-able. Long & Newman went out of business after a couple of years;
rarely, one shows up on E-Bay. I'd call all the vendors- especially PPC-Reno, who
acquired the molds for all sorts of 'glass body parts and has redesigned some
of them. FWIW, real kevlar or carbon fiber/epoxy is much stiffer than
fiberglas/polyester-with-carbon-overlay, but is also much more expensive. And such
parts cannot be made in CA due to evil emissions from curing resins, so you wind
up eating shipping costs from 'somewhere else'. Good luck- J Deryke