[DeTomaso] Clever Clutch Assist

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Aug 27 21:54:29 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/27/08 16 53 8, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> Is the clutch assist spring in this article common (go down to second
> figure)
>
> http://www.artsautomotive.com/clutchstory.htm
>
> It looks like a good idea.

Panteras had the opposite approach--springs designed to withdraw the pedal,
not help to depress it.   The springs are not coil springs, but rather a
hair-pin style, wrapped around the main shaft that the pedals pivot on.   One each
for the brake and clutch.   These springs have snapped on roughly 100% of the
Panteras out there, and almost nobody knows they are even there.   Crawl under
the dash sometime and you'll probably find yours sitting there and doing
nothing.

Replacing them is simple enough but requires you to remove the whole pedal
bracket, then remove the clutch pedal from the shaft, withdraw the shaft, remove
the broken springs, install the new ones and reassemble.

Here's a photo of a unit that I rebuilt on Stephane Bergeron's car a couple
of years ago.   This is the 'before' photo, showing that the brake pedal spring
is working, and the clutch pedal spring isn't, because it snapped in two!   I
had already removed it when I shot this photo:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/Pedals.jpg

The completed assembly (with new springs, available cheap from the Pantera
vendors) was a thing of beauty, with the aluminum plate bead-blasted, and the
pedals blasted and painted.   Unfortunately I forgot to shoot photos of the
'after' product before installing it in the car. :<(