[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 49, Issue 26- Overheating problems

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 19:36:37 EDT 2008

Will,
I would definately pull some spark plugs to see if you
are running lean

I hate to say it but the Efi could be your problem
It can have a bad ground messing up the computer
It can have a plugged injector
or fuel pressure off... I assume you have a return line and 40-60 psi

You may also look at the filters both gas and air
We had a Pantera at Monterey a few weeks back with a bad
load of gas which put things off....

My thinking if the air cleaners are dirty and they do get
dirty quick then you have less air... sensors then give you
less fuel so you are ok at idle but lean at speed

We have one Pantera that burnt the Paint on the right
side of engine bay because his Efi was running so lean
and the mufflers were cooking the paint.

We have one Norcal shelby owner with three alum engines
running Efi had cylinders run lean cooked a piston in one
motor and the two others froze a valve... now running carb

When the Efi works it works great but many variables that
can cause a lean condition which will make it run hot
and maybe not at idle as that is a different mode or map.

Pulll some plugs before it is too late to check

My 2 cents

Bob Benson

deal here.