[DeTomaso] Heater Hoses & Pipes

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Mon Aug 25 18:46:52 EDT 2008

Jack forgot to mention, that when you put the ball valves in place, be sure to put a small bypass hose in an "H" fashion between the two larger heater hoses!  Shutting off the flow 100% can allow for cavitation in the water pump when air bubbles collect at the top of the area where normal heater tube flow would allow it to exit.... no flow...no exit.....  don't ask me how I know this.....   I found some heater hose sized "T"s that had a small 3/8" ish size outlet on them that works great on my Goose! Just connected the two hoses with a length of 3/8" (could have been bigger...) heater hose and away I went!

Now, that said, there could be some brands of water pumps out there that deal with this some how, but if using a Ford style pump, you will want to take this into consideration.  Most ALL Ford cars either had this "H" pipe/hose arrangement built into the original design, OR, the (typically) vacuum operated shut off valve had a small hole in the butterfly to allow for a small amount of coolant flow...

Maybe Clevelands do it differently, but if you have a Windsor based motor (289,302, 351W), you will want to check this out carefully.

Steve