[DeTomaso] Overheating problems

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Mon Aug 25 15:51:28 EDT 2008

If I understand you correctly, you have no problem idling indefinitely or at
low speeds. You only have overheating when at speeds over 50 mph ?

If that's the case:

1. maybe the factory seals, sheilds and baffles that force all the the
frontal air to go through the rad are missing or faulty?
2. maybe the new fans are blocking air flow at speed? ie. the fans running
backward for the position they're in? fan shroud restrictive to air flow at
speed?
3. new core in rad not very effective. This becomes more obvious as speed
rises and HP is used.
4. Not sure, but maybe the cleve style t-stat "foot" will bottom out in the
Windsor before it opens fully?

Just some random thoughts to consider Will.

Barry

Will Demelo wdemelo at cogeco.ca
Sun Aug 24 18:54:49 CDT 2008

I aquired my new car some time ago in the spring. i noticed that the temp
was getting on the high side and noticed that the coolant was low. Note: the
car had sat for 4 years. I noticed that the rad had a tiny leak and the
water pump was leaking ever so slightly from the front seal. So, I replaced
the pump with a weiand and recored the rad and installed twin electric
suckers and put in a new 180 stat. That should take care of it, right? F#$K
no.
I drove for a couple hundred miles with the temp guage never exceeding 195
deg.
 Even during the Niagara rally, when  everyone else saw their temps rising
on the hot Saturday evening, my guage stayed at 190. On my ride home on the
hiway, cruising at a mere 2300 rpm, the guage started to cycle from 180 to
200, then 180 to 210 and so forth until it nearly touched red.
It has been doing this ever since.
Notes:
It will stay at 180-190 at idle in the garage.
I've jacked the back up 3 times and it has run like that for more than 2
hours while I revved it up (pissing off the neighbours)
I can't get it to red in the garage, it'll only go to about 210
The pass head is hotter by 18 deg over the driver's side when temp taken
from the rear with IR gun.
The stat has been changed twice. It seems to be opening when it's suppose
to, but reaches temps it shouldn't.
Help.
Will