[DeTomaso] Fw: Overheating problems

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Aug 24 21:04:17 EDT 2008

Will

This is a tough one to diagnose.

Is it possible that the gauge is misreading.  Perhaps the ground is
compromised and when a shared ground accessory is turned on, it affects the
reading.

After a fresh rebuild, I run a Gano filter.  I can generally tell when it
collects debris as it compromises flow and I see slightly elevated temps. I
use the filter because I previously partially clogged a radiator after I had
been too generous with sealant on an engine rebuild and the loosened pieces
collected there.  Were you too generous with the RTV when sealing your new
water pump?  Perhaps some of the rad tubes are clogged

Are you certain both fans are operating? The fan noise may only be one

The differential in head temps is interesting.  That would lead one to
believe that one side of the motor is running leaner than the other.
However, I assume that you are running a 4 barrel carb verses FI or webers.
I am pressed to think that one side would have impaired coolant flow over
the other - a backward head gasket would have revealed itself in short
order.

Perhaps others have more guidance.

Let us know what you learn.

JT