[DeTomaso] Heater Hoses & Pipes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 02:02:37 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/22/08 11:46:17 PM, MyCars at Comcast.net writes:

> On a side note, I was also thinking of insulating these pipes in an attempt
> to help keep the cabin cooler. Do you think that would help?

Be very sure you have a pair of bronze pipe ball-valves plumbed into the
hoses going to and from those pipes; the stock Pantera dashboard controls cannot
be adjusted to fully shut off the water flow thru the heater and also fully
open for good heating & defrosting. The mismatch in leverages usually allows a
trickle of hot water thru the heater while the A/C is on, making the A/C work
harder, so we add manual shut-off valves.
In summer when one doesn't need heat, the manual valves also protect against
a hose blowing off or rupturing under your dash, scalding your leg and
instantly fogging the windshield, usually at high revs. This has caused crashes. The
valves can be placed such that an owner can reach them without opening the
decklid.   With manual shut-off valves in the system, the heater pipes have no
water flow thru them unless the heater is in use, so insulating them is a bit of
trouble and not very useful. Good luck- J Deryke