[DeTomaso] 2009 Fun Rally Location "say NO to Sandy EggO"

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 12:03:14 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/21/08 7 07 54, moconwell at msn.com writes:

> How important is the track event to the Convention?
>
>>>Very.   Many people (both drivers and spectators) only come to the event
for the track.   Some grumpy Coloradans only come to the track and don't even
come to the hotel because it's so far away in Las Vegas.

> Does it make money or lose?

Fun Rally; no money intermingles.   PCNC purposely prices the event to break
even; sometimes we accidently make a profit, which is then plowed into future
events (we have had price reductions because of this).   Other times we lose
money, usually not too much though.

One can make the case that the track event helps the overall event
financially, because some people only come to the Fun Rally because of the track event,
but that's difficult to quantify.

> >The track in Reno IS NOT close to Reno, no closer than the track in LV.
> The only time the track was close is when it was at LV Speedway.
>
>>>Absolutely false.   You can offer opinions and that's fine, but don't
issue false statements as fact.

The track in Las Vegas is 56 miles from the hotel, and with growing Vegas
traffic it's a good one-hour drive away from the hotel, and the road is heavily
patrolled.   The Fernly track is 30 miles east of Reno on I-80 with a 70 mph
speed limit, and traffic routinely flows at 80+ so it's a 20-25 minute drive at
best.   Not that this should make a difference, since we bought these cars to
DRIVE them didn't we?   But for some that 30 extra minutes might be a
deal-breaker.

Who knows, with a lack of hotels near the Vegas track, even grumpy Coloradans
might be forced to stay with us in Reno, and then they might accidently find
out that they're having a great time socializing with all the other non-grumpy
owners, and make a habit of staying with us in the future, wherever we go. :>
)

It's also worth mentioning that the track in Reno is MUCH better.   I believe
(Larry Finch will have to confirm/deny) that we would be able to get a
full-length 4.1 mile track in Reno for about the same cost as the
too-short-in-my-opinion half-track in Pahrump.   Many may find that compelling.

> >Alternative:  Hold the Convention in Willows, CA. and run Thunderhill!
> Cheap rooms on off-weekends.

exciting place in the world by comparison. :>)

> Has anyone completed a survey of what is important to the Convention
> attendee?  Track, shows, bar, runs, food and etc.

POCA newsletter, and issued at the event itself.   The results of this survey
steer the Fun Rally committee when making decisions about potential venues etc.

Cheers!