[DeTomaso] 2009 Fun Rally Location

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Aug 21 00:53:14 EDT 2008

Hi Jim

Fair question.  POCA certainly isn't wealthy; but, it is financially
healthy.  My desire is to price the Event at breakeven and we generally
leave that math to our Treasurer.  I am being careful not to speak for
others, yet, I believe most other Fun Rally Committee members agree with me
when I say we have always tried to keep the price of the Event as low as
possible to encourage maximum attendance.  Thus, the profit from the Event
has generally been derived from Raffle Ticket sales.  Of course now, POCA
also splits a portion of those revenues with the Chapters that sell them at
the Rally.

Our financial risk with the Fun Rally is relatively low and in my opinion,
POCA would not be financially harmed or compromised if in the exercise of
something new, the result was financially negative.

I sense that the group think is that Vegas is financially safe, while Reno
may not be - I do not see it this way.  The trend has been poorer attendance
at Vegas and I do not see that trend changing.  We all know the adage of
doing the same thing and expecting different results - it defines crazy.

The POCA board has been relatively courageous the past several years and
introduced a lot of new alternatives to it's membership.  Some of these
changes have been greeted enthusiastically, others less so.  However, I feel
it is the POCA Board's responsibility to listen to the membership, be
receptive to their suggestions, provide the alternatives and ultimately let
the membership decide.

What I do find disconcerting is when members of the Committee impose their
personal bias in such a manner as to prevent the membership from having a
choice.

I am enthusiastic about championing a choice for the 2009 Fun Rally.  I
believe Reno is a viable option that provides a fresh experience, allows us
to revisit previous successful Rally attributes (Street display, cars in
Ballroom, new driving experiences) and because of it's northern location and
change of dates potentially opens the door for people to participate who
couldn't in the past.  This is a good thing as POCA should do it's best to
serve all of it's membership. That said, I realize change is difficult for
many to accept and I respect your vote.

In the end, the membership has been provided the opportunity to speak their
mind and make their choice.  We are a stronger club for it.

I hope that I see you in either Vegas or Reno in 2009.

JT