[DeTomaso] 2009 Fun Rally Location

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 20 15:41:15 EDT 2008

An excellent synopsis of our past history, MD.
We'd do well to remember the purpose of this event was twofold: 1- to get
Panteras out of dusty garages and -2- to actually drive them on a weekend jaunt
to have fun (hence the name).   All the additional 'features' since then (open
track, car show, tours in the LV area, etc)- were secondary to the driving of
your Pantera to a different city and having fun on the trip.
A- The total number of Panteras in Southern California far exceeds any other
area of the country so any event should be a reasonable drive for them.
B- most owners won't drive anything more than a single comfortable day's
distance- say 400 road miles & two tankfuls of gas (@18 mpg) on an 8-hour one-way
drive.
Drawing a circle 400 miles in diameter around Los Angeles should mark out
reasonable destinations for a well-attended rally. I realize that a 400-mile
circle is not a straight line path. But it still shows a "reasonable" trip given
the parameters of 2 tanks of gas & 8 hrs of driving.

Strangely, there aren't many large cities within such a circle: San
Francisco, San Diego and Phoenix are within; Reno is slightly further (Rand-McNally
says 472 road miles). Las Vegas is within a 200-mile circle and proved to be
roughly 275 road-miles for So-Cal denizens. Judy & I made the San
Jose-to-Las-Vegas trip many many times- which was 455 road-miles on 3 different cars odometers
but Rand-McNally says 382- and 8 hrs with a lunch break and a potty stop
during fueling. San Francisco is 50 road miles further and would have meant a
second fuel stop for us. FWIW- J DeRyke