[DeTomaso] Original 100-mile Pantera sold at auction

Jar cadhearse60 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 19 16:50:21 EDT 2008

Agreed.  $88K is actually higher than I would've thought this car
would auction for.  Bearing in mind that blue kicker fresh out of
Steve's shop selling for roughly the same price, which car would you
rather have?  How many of us here actually say to ourselves "Wow!"
when we look at that Ford blue stock motor in there?  It's more a rare
curiosity than anything else, interesting only in passing as far as
I'm concerned.  The point of the Pantera is to rip around in it and
turn heads and to have it roar like a caged tiger when you fire it
up.  If I had invented this car, I would love the fact that so many
people loved it enough to preserve it well beyond it's expiration date
and create clubs and a cottage industry around fixing it up and
improving it.  The stock Pantera is one hell of a platform to blast
off from.  Perhaps it was built with this very thing in mind?

One of the things I love about this car is that no two are even
remotely alike.  EFI, webers, superchargers, nitrous, hemi's, new
$100K Ford GT motors being swapped in, crazy-ass colors & spoiler/
flare packages....to me the Pantera world is supercar heaven.  This
forum is lively and informative, POCA is fantastic and Pantera owners
are a brilliantly colorful and intelligent bunch of car nuts.  (Some
of the technical things you guys post, I can't even read them.)  I
can't imagine that there is any other car club out there quite like
this one!

Once you've paid $88K for it, the only wise thing an owner could do
with a pristine 100 mile orig. Pantera like this is store it as best
he can and never drive it.  Otherwise you'd be stupid to pay that and
then set about modifying it, wouldn't you?  This buyer must be a
serious collector.  Hopefully, he puts it in a climate-controlled
environment and doesn't touch a hair on it's head.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Garth Rodericks wrote
: