[DeTomaso] Headlamp question & 4-ways & fan-control thermostat.

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Mon Aug 18 02:18:13 EDT 2008

Hey - thank you all for the diverse opinions on headlamps.
I'm going to wire the relays separately (there is a relay for each of
high & low beams), per Tomas' suggestion.
There is enough conductor and enough alternator to power highs and lows
together,
but cooking the halogen bulbs is unattractive.

Re the 4-ways (common slang for Hazards or Emergency Flashers)
There is nothing of the original Pantera stuff left, other than the
fixtures,
 so even really good Pantera drawings aren't much help
I guess I'll have to experiment, but Ken suggested that I share more
info on  what is there.
The loom is a Painless #10202 and the manual is
http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/90501Manual.pdf
(too bad the resto shop didn't use the manual)
The fuse panel, which includes the turn-signal and 4-way relays,
is a Painless 30003 and the manual is
http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30003Instruction.pdf.
but it doesn't have anything like a schematic or layout drawing.
Hot-rodders use Painless stuff a lot, so if any of you are ex-rodders???

Now I'm adding a new question.
The fan control relays on the rad are gone and fans are controlled
by one thermostatic switch mounted in an adapter on the water pump (so
cold side).
The fan doesn't come on until the indicated temperature is pretty high
(~230F),
 so I did the pan of hot water, thermometer, multimeter test and the
switch is closing at about 190F.
I think I need a 170F version.
It's a single-contact switch in a brass housing. The thread measures
0.667, so I guess it it must be 17mm.
What kind of vehicle would that come from?
I'm not getting anywhere walking up to the parts counter, without a
reference to get them started.

It sure is nice having an audience that listens when you're bitchin' and
moanin'.
dave

Embedded Spaces Inc. (ESI)
davel at emspace.com