[DeTomaso] My ZF is scaring me

bill gaino gaino at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 08:46:09 EDT 2008

My early dash 1 had a rear mount held on by the studs at the back cover. A couple of them were broken off. I attempted to drill out the stud and it turned and went all the way through and fell inside the rear case. There was not a bottom, the threaded hole goes through. I had to take the trans out of the car and shook the broken stud out.  DON't remove the rear cover with it in the car. There is a shaft that holds reverse and the gear can fall off. Loyd said to stand the trans on the bell house vertical. Then remove the cover so the shaft stays in. Maybe a piece of on of the rear studs fell inside? I dont see why you could not remove them one at a time for inspection. If there is a small piece inside, you may can shake it out and examine it. Broken stud... or worse a broken gear chip.  I mounted my zf on an engine stand so I could spin and shake it. Double check everything I say because I am not an expert by any means.  And you should be scared..... Bill