[DeTomaso] My ZF is scaring me

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 01:56:32 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/14/08 15 27 23, classicmusclecars at att.net writes:

> There is a guy named Phil Camp in the San Diego Pantera group.  He took his
> car a couple years ago to the Vegas convention and drove it on the track.
> His ZF basically blew a hole in the case and leaked out all of the fluid.
> From what I understand some bolts backed out inside and then sheered off the
> heads apparently over time.  And also until the hole blew out the case ending
> his driving that day, the ZF seemed to function fine, even on the Vegas race
> track!! Not entirely sure if the bolt heads caused the hole in his ZF case or
> not.   Don't know if this is your situation.  But since it happened once, it
> might happen again.  Just FYI.   I don't have Phil phone number, but if you
> look him up in the DeTomaso registry and give him a shout.  He's a really nice
> guy.  And would be glad to let you know his story and what he did to fix it.
> Good luck.   Dan Miller in San Diego.

Very true, but Phil's car blew the gearbox because he had failed to have the
ring and pinion bolts safety-wired.   He got VERY lucky--all it did was punch
a hole through the removable cover on the bottom of the case, not the case
itself.

Marc's gearbox has been safety wired, so his problem is a different problem.