[DeTomaso] Tires, Tire Life, and Nitrogen

Ed Pike erpike at cs.com
Wed Aug 13 16:54:24 EDT 2008

Here is my two cents.... Larry has a point. Most compressed air in the US is
provided by air compressors where the unit takes the surrounding air and
compresses it. If there is crap in the air (and or water) it gets compressed
along with everything else. About the only place great pains are taken to
get clean waterless compressed air is in painting applications - body shops.
Most have dryers on them to remove the water. You would be surprised to see
how much water comes out! Water in compressed air is bad when painting a
car.

I can see why racers might prefer waterless air to fill tires. Tire balance
and perhaps better pressure integrity over the course of a race might be
important. I am not a racer so I can't say for sure.

On the street, it seems nitrogen has a reputation for holding air in the
tire better. Reducing the need to check your tire pressure and stop at the
gas station for air occasionally. Aluminum wheel have a tendency to leak air
after a while. Lots of people would like this idea.

I will continue to use air in my tires. If my aluminum wheels start to seep
a little air, I might try nitrogen once. If it fixes my problem - great! If
not no great loss. I'll go back to air.

Bottom line, those nitrogen sales people must be really good!

Just a thought

Thanks,
Ed
Ed....-----Original Message-----