[DeTomaso] ZF oil

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 13:40:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/13/08 9:16:19 AM, you write:

> Doesn't the (ZF) dipstick actually replace that (fill) port? That is, there
> is no overflow plug at all, but instead a 90-degree fitting with a dipstick
> that screws into it?

Thats how my backyard fill/check system works but thats not how the factory
did it. They drilled and tapped the rear tranny cases on the right side for a
fitting that only holds a dipstick to check oil level. With theirs, you still
have to fill thru the side port. The factory dipstick, possibly adapted from
the Mangusta, is rare. There's another addition that one of the Swedes has from
the Euro pavement roller that also uses a ZF tranny: he has a remote reservoir
with a couple of extra quarts of lube in it that attaches thru the fill port
fitting with a big tube. All this stuff (except my rig) is shown in the
factory manuals.   FWIW- J Deryke