[DeTomaso] Oil Filter won't budge

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 08:03:25 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/12/08 19 01 29, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> Any suggestions would be helpful.

Auto parts stores sell differen types of oil filter removal tools.   One is a
cup-shaped device with a square hole to accept a 3/8 inch ratchet (or
extension).   They come in all sizes.   They wrap around the bottom of the filter and
grip it around 360 degrees of the base.   Work very nicely.

Another option is a rubber strap wrench; you have to keep it clean (free of
oil) to work though.

They also sell oil filter wrenches that look like a pair of curved tongs.
They are pretty hard on the filter; I wouldn't plan on using them to install
the new one.

In your case, since you make it sound like the filter is already crushed, I
don't know which one to suggest?