[DeTomaso] Webers on 2v heads?

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 11:39:00 EDT 2008

> Does anyone know if a Weber intake, designed for 4v heads, would work well
> with (domestic) open chamber 2v heads?

Probably not due to the port mismatch, unless you intend to weld the
intake up and port match to the 2V heads.  There is a 2V Weber intake
available from Australia made by Redline.  There was a group buy initiated
on the PI forum.

> How about a 4v Performer on 2v heads?

The 4V Performer has an intermediate port size, between that of a 4V and 2V
head.  You could do some port matching on the 2V heads to make it work but
why?  Used 2V Performers are inexpensive and better 2V intakes are avialable.

> Several people confirmed to me offline that what I suspected is true--a 2V
> intake can have some benefits on a 4V head

I'm somewhat dubious of the effect without port stuffers in the cylinder
head.  There might be a benefit at the carb causing a stronger boster
signal (similar to what can be down with a 4 hole spacer) the flow will
slow down as it expands into the cylinder head port so you've lost the
velocity advantage.  Even with port stuffers, you've got the large bowl
volume to contend with.  My preferred fix is still a 4" stroker crank :-)

> but the gross port mismatch of a 4V intake on a 2V head would be terrible
> UNLESS the head was deeply ported to match the contour of the 4V intake
> manifold port

Any abrupt area change is undesirable but the effect is not as bad as
it might first look.  In subsonic flow, a pressure wave will travel ahead
and smooth the transition.   Still not good but perhaps not terrible.

> I could hardly think they made an Weber intake for this low position head
> port.

Here are some pictures of the Cain and Redline 2V Weber intakes:

 http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/album07/album08/

Dan Jones