[DeTomaso] Wanted, 71 or 72, Which To Buy?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 12 00:22:00 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/11/08 2:30:22 PM, guson at home.se writes:

> As both -1 and -2 trans cases can be bolted to our cars with one center or
> two side mounted mounts using the same parts (AFAIK) I doubt that the overall
> dimensions of the cases are very different.

The TRANSMISSION cases out back are very similar. Whats different is the
DIFFERENTIAL cases: early diff cases have 4 bolts instead of 6 on the bellhousing
face, the diameter of that mating surface to the bellhousing is smaller, the
weight of the diff-case is 4 lbs lighter due to the smaller dimensions. And
thats why early diff cases take a completely different sand-cast bellhousing with
two smaller inspection/vent holes. They were apparently very similar to a
Mangusta diff case with the gear-containing body rotated to fit Pantera
suspension geometry. These were only used on a few mostly pushbutton Panteras. I've
only seen one early Pantera with such a ZF, but Larry Stock at PPC-Reno, Nevada
has such a ZF and matching bellhousing in stock at his store.   Next time I'm
in there, I'll get him to drag the pieces out and shoot some photos for you.
Cheers- J Deryke