[DeTomaso] Aviaid 351C oil pan / true capacity?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 10 16:02:53 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/10/08 11:13:21 AM, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> I've been using an Aviad for several years and I've never been able to tell
> the true capacity, but I'm sure it's nowhere near the advertised 10 gallons.
> I've also had questions about the accuracy of my dip-stick fill mark....

Aviaid says their pan holds 8-1/2 quarts when filled to "full" on a stock
dipstick. Over-filling the pan to the same liquid level Ford recommended for
stock pans would bring the volume up to about 10 quarts, but its not necessary
with the better pan.
A stock dipstick reads the same level in a stock or Aviaid pan since the pan
bottom is not lowered, only lengthened. The dipstick should be exactly 38.0
inches long from tip to the edge of the cup-shaped splash guard, not to the
inside of the guard (per TSB Bulletin 5, article 34. Remember, a dipstick does NOT
measure quarts, only liquid level. Cheers- J Deryke

Looking for
a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.