[DeTomaso] Aviaid 351C oil pan / true capacity?

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Aug 10 15:47:18 EDT 2008

I'll offer another opinion and methodology.  11 quarts!!!!

With both the Hall and Aviad "advertised 10 quart pans, I measured the oil
pan capacity with the pans off the engine.  I felt the critical measurement
was how much oil capacity exists to the bottom of the windage tray.  In my
mind, this was the critical point of separation of fluid from the rotating
crank assembly.  I just do not see the relevance of the stock measurements
on the dip stick in light of the stock oil pan not having a windage tray to
minimize sloshing of oil into the crank.  I'll admit it is a guide if you
haven't done your homework - but one can do better.

On the Hall Pan, the oil fill measurement is a little more work as the
windage tray mounts to the main caps (or somewhere in that vicinity - it has
been a while).  So I measured the distance from the oil pan rail on the
block to the windage tray and transferred that measurement to a depth in the
pan measured from the oil pan's rail toward the pan's bottom.  You could
subtract an 1/8" for the pan gasket.

The Aviad is a bit more straight forward as the windage tray mounts in the
pan and you merely need fill it to see when it fluid meets the bottom of the
windage tray.

My recollection was that both trays took at least 11 to 12 quarts to cover
the windage tray.

Of course, we recognize that when an engine is operating there is a least
two quarts in the filter lines and assorted collection points like heads
(probably more if an HV pump) providing an even greater reduction of risk
that aggressive acceleration and braking would spill over the windage tray.

Thus, my research supports the 10 quart capacities of both the Aviad and
Hall 10 quart pans.  I nominate the persistently championed 8 quart capacity
limit as Pantera Myth.

J, feeling righteous today, T