[DeTomaso] Aviaid 351C oil pan / true capacity?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Aug 10 14:41:35 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/10/08 11 13 23, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> I've been using an Aviad for several years and I've never been able to tell
> the true capacity, but I'm sure it's nowhere near the advertised 10 gallons.
>
>>>If you've been putting 10 *gallons* of oil in your motors, I think we may
have found a clue as to why your motors don't hold together. :>)

>  I've also had questions about the accuracy of my dip-stick fill mark.
> I saw some Shelby guys at the track filling their pan with water quart by
> quart so they could determine their capacity.
> Since my pan is off I'm going to try this. Does anyone know what height to
> measure to?
>
>>>Simple to determine.   With the pan removed, insert the dipstick (ensuring
that it's the proper length to begin with, 38 inches for a stock dipstick
with stock tube) into the tube and see how far the 'full' line protrudes below
the level of the bottom of the block.   It should be below the rotating
assembly.

If you want to perform a sanity check, buy a cheap 351C dipstick assembly
from Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRO%2D66618&
N=700+115&autoview=sku

$14.95

then remove the De Tomaso unit, and install the standard one to use as a
measuring gauge.   Hopefully the 'full' marks would be at the same distance from
the bottom of the block.

Then measure a corresponding distance down from the top of the pan
(accounting for the thickness of the gasket), and that should be the 'full' level in the
pan.

> >I'll then fill the engine with this amount, add a quart for the filter,
> and re-mark my dipstick.
>
>>>If your dipstick is the proper length, there's no reason to re-mark it.

> Actually, I doubt if this would work because an empty pan does not account
> for the displacement of the mains, crank, etc, right?
>
>>>The rotating assembly is supposed to be above the level of the oil in the
pan when the engine is running.   Remember that there is at least two quarts
of oil circulating around the filter and the engine when the engine is running,
so the static level is probably an inch or two higher than the level when the
engine is running.   If you overfill the pan, the rotating assembly will whip
the oil into a froth, and the oil will create drag and cost power; being
'worked' by the rotating assembly might also increase oil temperatures.