[DeTomaso] Aviaid 351C oil pan / true capacity?

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 10 14:12:46 EDT 2008

I've been using an Aviad for several years and I've never been able to tell the true capacity, but I'm sure it's nowhere near the advertised 10 gallons. I've also had questions about the accuracy of my dip-stick fill mark.
I saw some Shelby guys at the track filling their pan with water quart by quart so they could determine their capacity.
Since my pan is off I'm going to try this. Does anyone know what height to measure to?
I'll then fill the engine with this amount, add a quart for the filter, and re-mark my dipstick.
Actually, I doubt if this would work because an empty pan does not account for the displacement of the mains, crank, etc, right?

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456