[DeTomaso] Cleaning rear assembly stuff

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Aug 10 00:52:35 EDT 2008

Getting ready for the new axles and bearings to arrive, I cleaned the
uprights and all related parts today.  Yeach! what a mess.  All grease
was either caked on mixed with who knows how many years of dirt,
caramelized hard, or icky gooey like the caramel on your banana split.
Several paper shop towels soaked in Engine Brite, and some clean shop
rags later, all is done.

The uprights came out nice, polished with a bit of 3M cloth, both the
axle bore and the pivot shaft bore are ready for new parts.

After cleaning the bearings, I found the larger diameter ones were
extremely stiff to turn by hand, kind of like the grease on the inside
has turned to caramel.  The smaller ones turned freely, with one of them
clacking the bearings like it was totally clean of grease.  Not a real
good thing when they are sealed bearings.

All the other little stuff, like the spacers and shields came out fine.

On a related note, I have new ring gear bolts on the way, a new clutch
slave line coming from Quella, a set of new greasable shafts coming from
Marino at Pantera East and a new emergency brake cable set on the way.
In a couple of weeks I'll be ready for a major assembly session at my
house; a-arms, uprights, brakes and zf.

.... and I just got back home and realized I typed this up five hours
ago.  Sheez.  Better send it.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie