[DeTomaso] Firewall cover modification

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Aug 9 18:42:20 EDT 2008

I did the same thing with the flat firewall kit, except I didn't order the firewall itself, just the A/C compressor, new alternator, inside engine cover, and brackets.  I modified the existing firewall by cutting out the bubble and doing a bunch of other stuff; here's a brief description:

When I ordered the flat firewall kit, I only requested
the brackets to reposition the engine components and the small engine
cover.  I didn't actually order the firewall, since I figured I could
cut the bubble out of the original unit, recover the remaining
fiberglass firewall cover along with the small cover I bought, and then
I'd be able to access the engine by simply removing the small
cover--much more convenient than having to remove the entire firewall
cover.I grabbed my handy saber saw and went
to work, cutting out the obtrusive fiberglass hump in the center of the
original cover.  I then positioned the remaining, very flat, fiberglass
piece back on the firewall along with the new, small cover to see what
I'd need to do to get the two to work together.  Using cardboard and
duct tape, I formed a lower piece needed to join the bottom sections of
the large cover while still allowing the small cover to fit in place
and be removable.  I then removed the large cover and fiberglassed over
the cardboard.  When it was dry I trimmed the edges and sanded it
smooth.I had to use some Bondo and
cardboard to fill in a depression on the small engine cover.  Since it
was supposed to be located behind a portion of the new firewall cover
(which I didn't buy), it was never intended to look nice.  After
positioning the Bondo and cardboard to give the small door a better
shape, I took both pieces to Gary Herrig to have him recover them in
black leather (the same leather I used for the headliner and sun
visors).  When he saw the strange shape and odd materials I used, he
groaned, but said he'd do his best to make them look good.He
did a great job, and now, with a little effort, I can simply remove the
aluminum hex-head bolts around the edge of the small cover and remove
it to access the engine--all without removing the seats.  I mounted a
chrome handle on the top of the cover to ease the removal process.

If you want to call me for more details, feel free, although after Monday I'll be gone until September 5.

Sincerely,

Chris