[DeTomaso] ZF oil

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 9 15:26:33 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/9/08 11:37:52 AM, Panteratime at aol.com writes:

> Time to do a fluid change on my ZF.  What the ZF oil do you  recommend?

I recommend ANY 80W90 diff lube that has limited-slip additive incorporated.
Nowadays, its easier to find lube with the additive added than without.
Procedure below:
1)- pull the drain plug and wait until the drips stop- which will be hours.
Clean the drain plug magnet (if there is one) of steel chips while you're
waiting.
2)- Teflon-tape the drain plug and tighten it in. Rig up a funnel with a
flexible spout and tape it in place to add the lube. The adding-port is also a
17-mm pipe plug and is just under the shifter-shaft box where its difficult to
access.

The correct level is when lube barely drools out of the filler port when the
car is level. The first 'drooling' will not be at the fiull mark 'cause the
lube has to flow forward & back inside the cases and there are internal baffles
inside. So after a few minutes, the level will drop significantly and you can
start adding again. A bone-dry ZF holds about 7-1/2 pints (3.7 qts), but not
all will drain out when you pull the plug, so a refreshed trans won't hold that
much. But remember, too much lube is far better than too little! Good luck- J
Deryke