[DeTomaso] 10q.Oil Pan? what to use

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 02:48:27 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/7/08 2:53:33 PM, torbharl at online.no writes:

> I would like som info regarding oil pan for the 351C. See you talk about
> A........ somewhat with more oil in it and better construction for heavy
> loooong cornering at the track.
>
> Or shall I go for a drysump system. And what prices are we talking about.
> new pan vs. drysump.

The most popular performance oil pan is made by Aviaid <www.aviaid.com> and
sold by most of the Pantera parts vendors. It includes a set of 4 hinged
'doors' surounding the pump pickup which is a special included attachment. There are
two 'strippers' on the right side of the pan to remove the oil-cloud that
attaches to the crank and drags on it, and a long horizontal baffle to keep the
spinning crank from disturbing the main oil volume. The depth of the pan is
identical to a stock pan so a stock dipstick will read accurately, and will hold
10 quarts if slightly over-filled. Most of us fill about 8 quarts. Stock
gaskets, seals and bolts fit, too.

The second pan is made by 'Armando' a former worker for Avaiaid that now
sells his own similar pan. I've not seen both pans together but I'm told that they
are almost identical; not surprising given Armando's former employment. His
are a bit cheaper, too.

I have a predjudice against dry sump systems on street cars. The weak spot in
a dry sump system is the externally driven pump's belt drive. Even on
manicured racetracks with real racecars, debris often gets in between the pully and
belt, breaking it or knocking it off the pully. The pump then stops. The engine
of course, keeps right on running.... for a few seconds, then self-destructs.
Prices for a basic 16-quart dry sump system are approximately 2-4X that of an
Aviaid pan. Good luck- J Deryke