[DeTomaso] Qvale & DeTomaso

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 01:33:16 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/6/08 12 30 31, P6746 at aol.com writes:

> At the factory in '96 I remember seeing BMW powered Guara's in  production,
> the last Pantera 200...

There was no 'last' Pantera 200.   There was ONE Pantera 200.   This was the
sole right hand drive Pantera Si, delivered to British De Tomaso distributor
Dick Puxty.   He removed the stock engine and replaced it with a twin-turbo
motor; with the six-speed gearbox the car was thus capable of reaching 200 mph.
The magazine that did an article on THAT car named it the Pantera 200.

Ever since, people have been calling other Pantera Si cars "Pantera 200", but
it ain't so.   It would be like calling every Gr4 Pantera you see a "Candy
car", just because Patrick's car happens to be in Candy livery....

Does anybody know how many Pantera Si cars were built (including the Pantera
200)?   I've heard 29, or 39?

Mike

P.S.   I forgot to mention that a second Pantera Si was later converted to
RHD after the fact by the De Tomaso factory, at enormous expense...