[DeTomaso] Qvale & DeTomaso

P6746 at aol.com P6746 at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 15:29:44 EDT 2008

If I remember correctly, the Qvale Mangusta was originally  called the
deTomaso Bigua, and I think it was Kjell Qvale himself who had enough  influence and
money to get them to change the name to Mangusta.  When  things fell apart,
in order to salvage anything, Qvale took over completely and  was evidently
forced to change the name to the Qvale Mangusta.

At the factory in '96 I remember seeing BMW powered Guara's in  production,
the last Pantera 200, and a 220 ac powered shell of the upcoming  Bigua.  Yes,
it was almost as ugly as its name, but contained many special  engineering
features for its time, such as a disappearing hard top.

Bob Reid

Read reviews on AOL Autos.