[DeTomaso] ADA LM Pantera 6 sp. Quaife

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Wed Aug 6 10:04:21 EDT 2008

Dear Kirby,

You wrote:
-
"The GT40s forum has a _lot_ of discussion about ZF's being weak and
not being able to handle more than 500HP - quite the opposite of what
you see here on this forum."

$$$$$$$$ Interesting. I have visited Renegade Hybrids' shop in Las Vegas, which is actually less than 3/4 mile from the Orleans. They specialize in converting Porsches (914,944,911,928) to every power range of small block chevy. While I was taking the garage tour, the topic of weak Porsche transaxles came up. They said that they have a very short list of usable transaxles that will take the SBC power. They mentioned the ZF and I commented that it should be able to handle the task quite easily. Interestingly, like the GT40 forum, they said that the ZF couldn't handle the power! I decided to let them continue with that misconception. I figured that if they knew what the ZF would actually handle, then there would be even more demand for the things and they would be even more expensive for the members of the Pantera cult. So, yes, the ZF is a fragile transaxle!!!

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles
PS: several broken engines, but not one broken ZF yet.