[DeTomaso] Cylinder Head Style (application)

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Wed Aug 6 09:50:04 EDT 2008

Dear Fernando,

You wrote:

>Reading an article on 351 engines, I read the term: "Cylinder Head Style (application)" with varieties such as Trick Flow Twisted Wedge, Trick Flow Track Heat...knowing less than nothing on engines, I wonder...what does it refer to and whats the head style on the Pantera.
&&&&&The Trick Flow etc refer to after market cylinder heads. To my knowledge they didn't make heads for the Cleveland, but rather for the 5.0 liter and 351W engines.

The Cleveland cylinder head "style" is canted valves. Instead of being at right angles to the axis of the cylinder, they are angled away similar to the style of Chrysler "hemi" heads. This configuration increases cylinder head flow.

Was it the same on all cars? My 71 (4V) was it different than the 72's smog limited cars??
&&&&&&The canted valve heads were the same on all the Cleveland engines, but the 71 4V most likely has the closed chamber (small combustion chamber and higher compression ratio), while the later engines more likely had four barrel heads with open chambers (larger combustion chamber and lower compression ratio). The closed chamber heads are regarded as more desireable due to increased power and resistance to pinging with higher compression ratios. The open chamber heads were used due to reduced smog emissions.

The head configuration of ports, bolts, valves, etc is the same on the closed and open chamber heads. The difference is in the size, shape and configuration of the combustion chamber.

Engine rookie, Chuck Engles