[DeTomaso] Pantera Oil Pans

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 09:05:09 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/5/08 21 12 16, cdifani at pacbell.net writes:

> I believe that, based on the +250°F specification in the Machinist
> Handbook, nylock nuts are not appropriate for this kind of application. Or, at best,
> they're marginal, but I'd like your opinions as well.... I believe that a
> straight steel locking nut would be superior, rather than anything with nylon as
> part of it's locking mechanism.

Both Armando and Aviaid secure the baffle inside the pan with nylock nuts.
Steel nuts might work TOO well, as the nuts are being threaded onto studs
welded/brazed to the pan.   It might be too easy to snap them off.

A nylock insert is just insurance.   If the nut is properly torqued, the
nylock insert isn't really doing anything.   And if it's not, it might just save
your motor!