[DeTomaso] trying to understand

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 08:39:30 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/5/08 12 15 10, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> Actually, copyrights do not apply to compilations unless the compiler adds
> a creative element to it.  You generally can't own facts that have been made
> public (i.e., facts that are not trade secrets).
>
>>>And if you have your car in public, and somebody takes photos of it and
then posts them somewhere, you really have no reason to complain about it.   If
you don't want your car seen, you can keep it in the garage.

> >Whom can we buy the Registry from?  I thought it was out of date and out of
> print.

> I guess Chuck has his own way of doing things, and I don't think it's for
> profit.
>
>>>Unlike the old registry, which was expensive to buy, this one is better by
orders of magnitude AND it's completely free.

I don't particularly agree with Chuck's method of gatekeeping, and I've told
him so.   But it's his project, and you must admit that it has been effective;
he's managed to get 1600+ people to contribute their cars, which is much more
than Bill Van Ess (who was equally sincere in his desire to just make
something for the benefit of us all) was able to do.

>  One nice thing about this community is that many of us are very different
> from each other and approach our hobby from different perspectives.  As a
> result, there seems to constantly be different elements added to the mix, and
> that makes it very interesting, even when we don't always agree with how
> another chooses to participate.
>
>>>Indeed.

Mike (routinely contributes to the registry for the benefit of all who choose
to enjoy it).