[DeTomaso] alum heads on the street

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 01:31:23 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/5/08 5:03:05 PM, dyogi at hawaii.rr.com writes:
snip.....
> Extended life antifreezes such as Dexcool was developed to eliminate the
> silicate problem with today's modern engines..... The correct annode to use
> with fresh water systems is made of magnesium (not zinc)

For those who don't remember when this first came up, permanent anti-freezes
have long had silicates added to blast loose scale deposits that form in iron
engine water jackets. When aluminum engine parts became widespread. it was
noticed that -A- scale didn't form the same, and -B- waterpump seals had a rather
short life from the sandblasting effect of the silicates. Radiator tubes also
suffered adverse erosion. Honda and (I believe) Caterpillar both developed a
silicate-less antifreeze, and to differentiate it from 'regular', they made
theirs red instead of iridescent-green. And yes- the proper sacrificial anode
for an aluminum colling system is magnesium. Corvette shops sell a nice mag bar
one that attaches to a radiator cap and dangles in the coolant. Cheers- J
Deryke