[DeTomaso] Pantera Oil Pans

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 6 00:11:23 EDT 2008

Guys:

I just received my brand spanking new Armando oil pan, for my 5.4LSOHC EFI Supercharged Modular engine that is very slowly making it's way into my '73L.

It's a nice pan. It's a nice, baffled pan.

But there's one thing that's got me concerned (being the detail oriented perfectionist that I am). And that's the nuts that secure the top baffle plate in place. They're nylock nuts. From what I know about nylocks, they're not designed for "adverse" temperatures. The nuts on my new oil pan are zinc plated, with nylon inserts. And according to my handy Vol 26 of the Machinist Handbook, the section on product specifications for nylon locking nuts (commonly called "nylocks"), "...the nylon locking element is effective up to +250°F...".

So my real question for all you engine guru's, what average temperatures can the interior of an oil pan experience over significant lengths of time?

Realize that I'm looking for guidelines here.

I believe that, based on the +250°F specification in the Machinist Handbook, nylock nuts are not appropriate for this kind of application. Or, at best, they're marginal, but I'd like your opinions as well.... I believe that a straight steel locking nut would be superior, rather than anything with nylon as part of it's locking mechanism.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"